The Karlovy Vary International Film Festival is accredited by the International Federation of Film Producers’ Associations (FIAPF) as a non-specialized, competitive feature film festival. You can find more information about the annual awards in the festival regulations.
Awards for films in the Official Selection
- Grand Prix – Crystal Globe for Best Feature Film (25 000 USD)
- Special Jury Prize (15 000 USD)
- Best Director Award
- Best Actress Award
- Best Actor Award
Only one of these three awards can be awarded jointly.
- The jury may also award up to two Special Mentions for merits clearly defined
- The Grand Jury cannot confer more than two awards on a single film
- East of the West Competition Grand Prix is 15 000 USD
- East of the West Special Jury Prize is 10 000 USD
- The prize for the best feature – lenght documentary film is 5 000 USD
- Documentary Special Jury Prize
Each year the Karlovy Vary IFF recognises at least two exceptional figures who have made an indelible mark on the development of world cinema.
The Festival President’s Award is given to actors, directors, and producers who have contributed in a fundamental way to the development of film, not merely in their own countries but around the world.
The following awards of the non-statutory juries are also awarded at the festival each year:
- The FIPRESCI Jury Award
- The Ecumenical Jury Award
- The FEDEORA Jury Award
- Europa Cinemas Label Jury Award
The Audience Award is one of the most important awards that can be won at the festival. The votes and rankings of festival audiences is one of the most important indicators for film producers and distributors who can then get an idea of how the film will fare on general release in domestic and international cinemas.
At the end of each film audiences will have the opportunity to rate it by tearing the rating on their voting ballot (1 – excellent, 2 – good, 3 - average, 4 – poor). The ballot is handed to a hostess or left in the ballot box when leaving the cinema.
- voting will take place from June 30 to July 8 when the last evening screening is finished (ca. 2am on July 8)
- films shown at the festival on July 8 and 9 are re-screenings
- short films are not included in the Audience Award competition
- the results will be continuously published in the official festival newspaper, on this website and on the festival circuit TV as they come in
- the Audience Award will be awarded during the festival closing ceremony on July 8, 2017