Iranian film director Jafar Panahi arrested
March 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
Iranian filmmaker Jafar Panahi (b. 1960), whose work is known the world over thanks to the awards he has received at top film festivals (Golden Leopard at Locarno 1997 for Ayneh / The Mirror, Golden Lion at Venice 2000 for Dayereh / The Circle, and Silver Bear at Berlin 2006 for Offside, among others), was a member of the international jury at the 36th Karlovy Vary IFF in 2001, which also presented a retrospective of his films. As a member of the opposition movement against the policies of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, he was arrested and imprisoned for a short time last summer, and prohibited from leaving Iran. Earlier this week, a group of men in plain clothes burst into his Tehran apartment, searched the premises, and led the director, his wife, and his daughter no one knows where.
The Karlovy Vary International Film Festival joins the rest of the world in protesting the arrest of this renowned artist.
- New programme for film student directors at Karlovy Vary January 15, 2015, 9:40 AM
- Industry Events 2014 July 22, 2014, 1:15 PM
- Laura Dern at the Outdoor Cinema: Wild at Heart July 12, 2014, 11:45 PM
- Interviews with this year’s winners July 12, 2014, 11:42 PM
- The Closing Ceremony of the 49th Karlovy Vary IFF July 12, 2014, 8:30 PM
- Non-Statutory Awards Ceremony July 12, 2014, 8:00 PM
- 49th Karlovy Vary IFF Awards July 12, 2014, 7:38 PM
- MOODS 2014 July 12, 2014, 4:30 PM
- Selection of the best moments from the Cinema Without Barriers project July 12, 2014, 4:03 PM
- KVIFF´s first winners are known July 12, 2014, 3:50 PM
|Supported by||General partner||Main partners|