Meet Filmmakers at Master Classes
June 30, 2011, 2:10 PM
On Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 11AM, hall C, you will have a chance to meet the president of this year’s Grand Jury, István Szabó. The Hungarian director and Oscar winner for his film Mefisto will be the first guest of the Vox Humana Session, a voice bank of famous artists. The archive includes a collection of voices of famous filmmakers, which will be extended in cooperation with selected film festivals. The first festival to participate in the project is the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. The project was created by journalist Gideon Bachmann, who will personally interview István Szabó not only about filmmaking.
Denis Villeneuve, a respected Canadian filmmaker, will speak on July 3 at 3PM at the Jameson Festival Lounge. His film Incendies is nominated for this year’s Oscar and will be screened at the festival as part of his retrospective. On Monday, July 4, 2011 at 4PM, Gideon Bachmann will record for his voice archive an interview with Monte Hellman, a director, producer, editor and one of the most interesting authors of the New Hollywood generation who will introduce his film Road to Nowhere. The Tuesday Master Class will belong to pioneering producer Ted Hope (American Splendor, 21 Grams) and expert on digital and new technologies Brian Newman. The event called The Future of Film starts at 11AM at the Jameson Festival Lounge. At the same place at 2PM there will be a chance to meet Martin Donovan, a long-term cooperator with director Hal Hartley, an American film and theater actor who also appeared in The Portrait of a Lady and in Christopher Nolan’s Insomnia and the first time writer-director of tragicomedy Collaborator. His Master Class will be dedicated to actor´s first time directing experience.
In addition to festival screenings, the work of young Greek filmmakers will be presented on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 11AM at the Jameson Festival Lounge at a debate with directors Syllas Tzoumerkas, Alexis Alexiou, Argyris Papadimitropoulos and producer Maria Drandaki. Lech Majewski, a film and stage director, screenwriter and author and the first Polish artist to be honored with a major retrospective of his work in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, is going to talk about bridging the gap between art and film or symbolic nature of the film language at 2PM on Thursday, July 7 at the Jameson Festival Lounge. At this year´s festival he presents a new film The Mill and The Cross. All meetings will be in English without Czech translation with the exception of the Master Class with celebrated Polish actor, playwright, scriptwriter, director and professor Jerzy Stuhr, which will be in Polish and Czech only. His Master Class will start at 2PM on Friday, July 8, 2011 at the Jameson Festival Lounge, which replaced the Captain Morgan Tent.
Karlovy Vary IFF Master Classes are presented in partnership with Screen International.
- KVIFF welcomes a Hollywood superstar - John Travolta June 18, 2013, 12:10 PM
- Actress Audrey Tautou to attend Opening Ceremony of KVIFF June 18, 2013, 12:08 PM
- Valeria Golino to present her film in Karlovy Vary June 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
- Paolo Sorrentino to present his film in Karlovy Vary June 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
- Julian Sands returns to KVIFF under the direction of John Malkovich June 18, 2013, 12:04 PM
- Director Cary Fukunaga to make third visit to KVIFF June 18, 2013, 12:03 PM
- Closing film of the 48th Karlovy Vary IFF June 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
- Early films of Kira Muratova and a documentary about Lordan Zafranović in the Out of the Past section June 12, 2013, 9:50 AM
- Wheatley, Madmony, Hřebejk and Krauze in the 48th KVIFF competition June 4, 2013, 11:07 AM
- 48th KVIFF to be opened by Michel Gondry June 4, 2013, 11:05 AM
|Supported by||General partner||Main partners|