Cash-strapped filmmakers with lots of energy
July 6, 2011, 2:00 PM
How do you make films when your country is about to go bankrupt? This and other topics were discussed at today’s Master Class with young Greek filmmakers, who have their own section at this year’s festival. All four guests admitted it was not easy, but while director Alexis Alexiou is pessimistic about the future, his colleague, Argyris Papadimitropoulos, is still optimistic. “Filmmaking has become more spontaneous and there is more solidarity among filmmakers. Plus, when you don’t work, you have more time to write scripts. You have to focus on the positive, otherwise you’re going to sit at home, feel sorry for yourself and never make any films.”
The filmmakers agreed that making films in Greece was never easy, even before the crisis. “Today, you have to improvise more, ask others for help. Your friends become your private investors, there is no state money,” said Papadimitropoulos, who will introduce his film Wasted Youth tonight.
Another Greek success is this year’s Oscar-nominee Dogtooth. “It made more money in Greece when it came out on DVD sold at newsstands than in the movies. That should tell you something,” said producer Amanda Livanou. The discussion at the Jameson Festival Lounge, where the broken air-conditioning created an authentic Greek atmosphere, also touched on the controversy Greek films stir at home or the difference between Greek filmmakers of the 70s and the current generation that sees social problems through personal stories.
- Press Conference in Prague April 23, 2013, 2:15 PM
- Karlovy Vary Festival to award Oliver Stone April 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
- Agnieszka Holland appointed president of the jury for the 48th Karlovy Vary IFF April 23, 2013, 12:06 PM
- The Karlovy Vary Festival will honor Oscar-winner, Theodor Pištěk April 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
- Industry activities planned for KVIFF 2013 April 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
- Legendary film critic Roger Ebert has died April 5, 2013, 5:20 PM
- Karlovy Vary IFF to present exclusive retrospective of Borderline Films March 11, 2013, 10:00 AM
- Prague Short Film Festival January 11, 2013, 12:36 PM
- High decoration for Eva Zaoralová November 28, 2012, 8:30 PM
- Galina Kopanyeva October 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
|Supported by||General partner||Main partners|