Works in Progress 2018
Producers and directors from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans,
the former Soviet Union and newly the Middle East come to this event to introduce new films that will premiere after the Karlovy Vary IFF. The best project will receive an award 100 000 EUR.
Works in Progress 2018 will take place on Monday, July 2
Producers have up to 8 minutes to present each project, including a teaser from the film. Following a panel discussion, we assist interested visitors of the Works in Progress programme to set up individual meetings with the presenters to get more information about their projects.
A maximum 8 films will be presented from the following countries:
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldavia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
The following new countries will be eligible for the 2018 edition of Works in Progress: Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
Works in Progress 2018 introduces the 100,000 EUR Award
With this year’s edition of Works in Progress, its sponsors aim to promote Czech Republic as a destination for film production and post-production. The 2018 award, in a total value of 100.000 EUR, is combining post-production services and a cash award.
The recipient of this year’s award will receive from our partners UPP, Soundsquare and Barrandov Studio an award package that will enable a completion of their film throughout the post-production stage. This post-production package includes:
Picture post-production at UPP:
- 8 days of colour grading
- 2 days of online from camera original files
- Production of all video outputs required for audio production in Soundsquare company
- Animation of end credits
- Final master production including laying back sound delivered by Soundsquare company
- Estimated value of 60.000 EUR
Audio postproduction at Soundsquare:
- 12 days of mixing in 5.1 or 7.1 format
- 1 day of down-mixing for TV use (5.1 or 2.0 in EBU R128 standard)
- Creation of final mix masters for DCP and TV production
- Digital delivery of final sound masters to UPP
- Estimated value of 30.000 EUR
Cash award of 10.000 EUR from Barrandov Studio.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The in-kind services by UPP and Soundsquare can only be used for the completion of the awarded project within a period of one year. It will not be possible to claim these services for a different project or to expect completion after June 2019.
Requests for different types of postproduction services will be considered individually, but cannot be granted. Awarded in-kind services listed above that are not claimed cannot be interchanged or replaced. Our partners have the right to demand a specific quality level of the film material that is needed before services can be offered. A winning project, which does not claim any or some of the postproduction services, is still eligible for the cash award of 10.000 EUR.
All representatives of projects selected for the Works in Progress 2018 presentation will be invited to take part in an excursion through the partners’ studio on Sunday, July 1, prior to their arrival to Karlovy Vary. KVIFF and the partners will cover accommodation in Prague and arrange all necessary logistics. Attendance to this excursion is conditional for all selected projects in order to be presented at KVIFF. KVIFF and Partners reserve the right to change or alter these conditions in cases of any unforeseen circumstances.
More info about our partners www.upp.cz, www.soundsquare.cz, www.barrandov.cz
Do you want to participate in Works in Progress 2018?
Producers and directors interested in having their film included in Works in Progress 2018 must apply by no later than Monday, May 14, 2018.
Your film must meet the following requirements:
- the film must be in post-production or just finished and must have a planned premiere after the Karlovy Vary IFF
- the film must be over 60 minutes in length
- the film must not yet have an international sales agent
- the project must not yet have been presented in a similar event
- chosen participants will provide three short film excerpts of max. 2 minutes each with English subtitles that will be included in the presentation
- excerpts which will be presented in Karlovy Vary must be submitted in the required format via an online storage site by no later than June 10, 2018
To entry your project, please fill the submission form and attach these materials:
- a link (Vimeo or YouTube) to a trailer or one short scene of max. 5 minutes
- a link (Vimeo or YouTube) to a rough-cut footage of max. 20 minutes
- other materials, eg. press kit
Trailers provided with English subtitles insert as a link (YouTube nebo Vimeo) straight into the Submission form.
Please submit your film as soon as possible. The KVIFF selection committee will announce its decision at the beginning of June. If your film is selected, you will receive detailed information about the presentation and about your stay at the festival.
Submissions for 2018 are already closed.