Tribute to Jean-Pierre Melville
March 22, 2012, 9:14 AM
As part of its 47th edition, the Karlovy Vary IFF will focus on one of the most outstanding contemporary Turkish directors, Reha Erdem, as well as on a key figure of postwar French cinema, Jean-Pierre Melville. The festival will also honor the hundredth anniversary of the birth of Michelangelo Antonioni with a complete presentation of his documentary work.
Although he himself vehemently rejected the appellation, many consider Jean-Pierre Melville (né J.-P. Grumbach, 1917-1973) the “godfather of the French new wave” thanks primarily to Bob le flambeur, his cult tale of an aging gambler from Montmartre. Yet as the first and still greatest cineaste among film directors, he always consciously avoided to belong to any movement of French postwar film. Well-regarded gangster movies from the 1960s (Le doulos, Le deuxième souffle, Le Samouraï, Le cercle rouge), literary adaptations (Le Silence de la mer, Les enfants terribles), and dramas set during the Second World War (Léon Morin, Priest; Army of Shadows) thematically and stylistically revealed Melville’s obsession with classic Hollywood movies and his defining life experiences as a member of the French army and, subsequently, of the resistance. Filmmakers the likes of Quentin Tarantino, John Woo, Michael Mann, and Martin Scorsese consider the charismatic loner, who revisited the rules of the crime genre, to have been a key influence on their work. Foremost film columnist and critic Rui Nogueira, author of the acclaimed collection of interviews Le cinéma selon Melville, will be on hand at the 47th KVIFF to introduce nine of the director’s pictures in the Melville tribute.
- Tributes to Elio Petri, Anurag Kashyap, and Ben Rivers in Karlovy Vary March 19, 2014, 10:28 AM
- Jiří Menzel’s Closely Watched Trains to be digitally restored March 17, 2014, 10:00 AM
- The First Lady of Czech Cinema March 13, 2014, 4:00 PM
- Greece and Turkey join the East of the West November 1, 2013, 1:25 PM
- VIDEO: And the winners are… July 7, 2013, 5:00 AM
- VIDEO: The final cut of the 48th KV IFF July 6, 2013, 10:00 PM
- VIDEO: KVIFF Talks - Master Class with Oliver Stone July 6, 2013, 8:36 PM
- VIDEO: Friday´s Festival Highlights July 6, 2013, 8:29 PM
- 48th Karlovy Vary IFF Awards July 6, 2013, 8:00 PM
- The Closing Ceremony of the 48th MFF Karlovy Vary July 6, 2013, 7:41 PM
|Supported by||General partner||Main partners|