Works in Progress 2019
Producers and directors from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans,
the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and North Africa come to this event to introduce new films that will premiere after the Karlovy Vary IFF. The best project will receive an award 100 000 EUR.
Submissions are now open.The deadline for submissions is May 15, 2019.
Works in Progress 2019 will take place on Monday, July 1
Producers have up to 15 minutes to present each project, including excerpts from the film. Following a panel discussion, we assist interested visitors of the Works in Progress programme to set up individual meetings with the presenters to get more information about their projects.
A maximum 12 films will be presented from the following countries:
Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldavia, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
Works in Progress 2019 presents the 100,000 EUR Award
Following the last years’ editions of Works in Progress, its sponsors continue aiming to promote Czech Republic as a destination for film production and post-production. The 2019 award, in a total value of 100.000 EUR, combines post-production services and a cash award.
Picture post-production at UPP:
- 8 days of colour grading
- 2 days of online from camera original files
- Production of all video outputs required for audio production in Soundsquare company
- Animation of end credits
- Final master production including laying back sound delivered by Soundsquare company
- Estimated value of 60.000 EUR
Audio postproduction at Soundsquare:
- 12 days of mixing in 5.1 or 7.1 format
- 1 day of down-mixing for TV use (5.1 or 2.0 in EBU R128 standard)
- Creation of final mix masters for DCP and TV production
- Digital delivery of final sound masters to UPP
- Estimated value of 30.000 EUR
Cash award of 10.000 EUR from Barrandov Studio.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The in-kind services by UPP and Soundsquare can only be used for the completion of the awarded project within a period of one year. It will not be possible to claim these services for a different project or to expect completion after June 2020.
Requests for different types of postproduction services will be considered individually, but cannot be granted. Awarded in-kind services listed above that are not claimed cannot be interchanged or replaced. Our partners have the right to demand a specific quality level of the film material that is needed before services can be offered. A winning project, which does not claim any or some of the postproduction services, is still eligible for the cash award of 10.000 EUR.
All representatives of projects selected for the Works in Progress 2019 presentation will be invited to take part in an excursion through the partners’ studio on Sunday, June 30, prior to their arrival to Karlovy Vary. KVIFF and the partners will cover accommodation in Prague and arrange all necessary logistics. Attendance to this excursion is conditional for all selected projects in order to be presented at KVIFF. KVIFF and Partners reserve the right to change or alter these conditions in cases of any unforeseen circumstances.
More info about our partners www.upp.cz, www.soundsquare.cz, www.barrandov.cz
Do you want to participate in Works in Progress 2019?
Producers and directors interested in having their film included in Works in Progress 2019 must apply by no later than Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
Your film must meet the following requirements:
- the film must be in post-production or just finished and must have a planned premiere after the Karlovy Vary IFF
- the film must be over 60 minutes in length
- the film must not yet have an international sales agent
- the project must not yet have been presented in a similar event
- chosen participants will provide three film excerpts: the first 5 minutes of the film and two scenes of own choice of max. 2,5 minutes each with English subtitles that will be included in the presentation
- excerpts which will be presented in Karlovy Vary must be submitted in the required format via an online storage site by no later than June 10, 2019
To entry your project, please fill THIS Submission Form and attach these materials:
- a link (Vimeo or YouTube) to a one short scene/sequence of max. 5 minutes
- a link (Vimeo or YouTube) to a rough-cut footage of max. 20 minutes
Excerpts provided with English subtitles insert as a link (YouTube nebo Vimeo) straight into the Submission form.
Please submit your film as soon as possible. The KVIFF selection committee will announce its decision at the beginning of June. If your film is selected, you will receive detailed information about the presentation and about your stay at the festival.